Product Type: Edimax in Wireless LAN
Newest Review: ... go through USB ports and then the motherboard. I also felt it would be neater to have it on the PCI and would free up a USB port. The first... more
Edimax EW-7128G - Review.
Member Name: JamesBwoii
Advantages: Quite a good price.
Disadvantages: Bad speed, wire too short.
I bought this wireless card for my new build for around £10 off Amazon. I had gone with a PCI card over a USB card for a few reasons. The first was that I had heard that they were faster, due to them being plugged directly into the motherboard instead of having to go through USB ports and then the motherboard. I also felt it would be neater to have it on the PCI and would free up a USB port. The first thing I did was install it, which was easy enough provided you know the very basics of what to do when you open up a PC, such as make sure you are grounded. Once it was in I installed the drivers which was easy to do with the included disk and away I went. My first criticism would be that the wire attached to the antanea was far to small meaning it was barely big enough to allow it to sit on top of my PC to get a better signal. Which brings me onto my next point, signal. I'm going to be brutal, the signal was appauling, my laptops with built in wireless card would get consistent full bars, whereas this would change between 1 and 3 constantly. There are also around 3 WiFi networks around my house that my laptops would find no problem at all but this wouldn't find them leading me to believe there was something wrong. After a month of slow and inconsistent download speed and long page loading times I just opted for an ethernet cable which was much faster indeed.
Summary: I would avoid and if you're looking for wireless then get something better.
|Ease of use:|
|Variety of features:|
More reviews in the field of Wireless LAN
- Like A Bridge Over Troubled Water
- Free router with o2
- A major let down
- BT Home Hub - Maybe not the way forward..
- A wireless G adapter with issues!
- A good and efficient router, albeit a bit pricey!
- A great wireless network card for those on a budget!
- My gaming connection is secure thanks to this!
- Top tip from TP..Link to your Wi-Fi through the mains powerline.
- Convenient, if not efficient.
- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
- Cisco Aironet 1041 Controller-based Access Point
- Cables to Go TruLink 1-Port 60 GHz WirelessHD Kit
- Zyxel N4100
- Zyxel NWD6605
- Zyxel NWD6505
- Cisco Aironet 1602i Controller-based
- Cisco Aironet 1552EU Access Point
- Cisco Aironet 1142 Controller-based
- Netgear WNA3100 Wireless-N 300 USB Adapter